Equipment Overview and Specs
This script is to be used to check the specifications required in your smartphone or tablet to run the Survey123 app smoothly and specifications of different web browsers to browse ArcGIS Online. This script also shows the steps to assess the need for GNSS devices.
- Trainees have an understanding on how to log in to Cadasta’s Platform and have downloaded the Survey123 mobile app.
- Trainees have basic understanding of softwares and operating systems that are being used in different mobile devices and personal computers.
- Trainees have access to the Technology Overview and Setup Resource List and the Data Collection Module GNSS Handout document.
1. Explain that in order to run the Survey123 app smoothly on your smartphone and tablet, there are software requirements.
2. Explain that if you have Android devices you need to have at least Android version 5.0 Lollipop or later (ARMv7 32 bit), 6.0 Marshmallow or later (ARMv8 64 bit).
3. Similarly, if you have iOS/Apple devices you need to have iOS version 11 or later (64 bit).
4. To check the software version on your device, go to the Settings options on your device.
5. Inside Settings, go to the About Phone tab or the equivalent on your device.
6. Inside About Phone you will see Software Information. Open that tab.
7. Explain that you will see the software version of your phone or tablet here. If the Android version is 5.0 Lollipop or later (ARMv7 32 bit) or 6.0 Marshmallow or later (ARMv8 64 bit), it meets the necessary requirements.
8. Mention that if the Android software version is earlier than the above mentioned versions, you have to update the software version of your device.
9. Explain that not all devices have the functionality to update the software version. This depends upon the type and company of the Android device that you are using.
10. Explain that if it is not possible to update the Android version you have, go with the next device that has the minimum software requirement.
11. Similarly, to check the software version of your iOS device you can navigate to Settings > General > Software update.
12. Explain that if your software is iOS 11 or later, then you are good to go.
13. Mention that if your software is not up to date, you will be given the option to download and install the update by pressing Download and Install.
14. Demonstrate that you can also check the software version and compatibility of your devices through the Apple Support site.
15. Explain that you also need to have minimum software requirements on your Windows or MAC computer in order to run the Survey123 field app and ArcGIS Online smoothly.
16. Explain that If you have a Windows computer you need to have one of these operating systems installed on your computer:
a. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise (32 bit and 64 bit [EM64T])
b. Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, and Windows 8.1 Enterprise (32 bit and 64 bit [EM64T])
c. Windows Server 2016 (64 bit)
17. Explain that If you have a MAC computer you need to have 10.13 High Sierra or later operating system installed on your computer.
18. Explain that there are the minimum hardware requirements for running the Survey123 field app or Survey123 Connect on Windows and macOS devices.
19. View the ArcGIS Survey123 System Requirements and go to the Hardware Requirement section to get more details on the minimum hardware requirement for your computer.
20. Explain that Survey123 supports different types of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receivers with different types of accuracy.
21. Explain that the need of GNSS depends on the type of projects and the minimum accuracy required for the mapping activity.
22. Explain that GNSS receiver accuracy is dependent upon a user’s global location, the type of device used, the level of configuration applied, weather patterns, and more.
23. Reference the Data Collection Module GNSS Handout, which has all the details of available GNSS devices, ways to configure GNSS devices with your mobile device and other important resources.
24. Explain that you can check the horizontal accuracy using your mobile device before considering using an additional GNSS device.
25. Go to the Survey123 app on your mobile phone and log in using your ArcGIS Online organizational credentials (username and password) provided by Cadasta.
26. Demonstrate that you will see a satellite logo on the top right section of your screen (left of the three horizontal bars).
27. Click the Satellite button to view the location status, including: latitude, longitude, altitude, speed, direction, horizontal accuracy, and vertical accuracy.
28. Explain that if the value of horizontal accuracy is greater than the minimum accuracy required for our mapping activity, we should opt to use an external GNSS device.
29. Explain that there is a possibility of needing an external SD/memory card if you are working in an offline environment. All the data collected in offline mode will be locally saved in your mobile device and if your device has less memory available, then you will not be able to capture more data unless you use an external memory card.
30. Similarly, explain that it is also a good idea to have extra battery packs for your devices while you are working on the field so that you don’t have to stop the data collection activity because of not having enough power in your devices.